Home » building projects HMS Victory » The Brodie stove

22 december 2020

 

Because the furnishing of 'The Middle Deck' is almost finished, the 'The Brodie Stove' has to be finished. Now you can recreate the model down to the last detail, but I didn't want that. Editing brass isn't really my thing and I'm afraid I'd rather mess it up if I make too many details about it. Besides that it will be fixed in place and then it won't really be possible to take a closer look. 

 

Afterwards I spent 2 days to apply everything and after approval of the lady of the house I finally placed him behind the Galley. We thought about putting in LED lights to make it look like The Brodie is on. We didn't do this because the fire will disappear in the orange glow of the lanterns hanging on the deck.

 

In the production of the Guns, I have always made a few extra. These are in a small showcase in our living room and can be taken out if desired. In this way everyone can see and feel how such a Gun is made. At the moment I'm about halfway through the project "H.M.S. Victory 1:48 POF and I am now 6 years working on it. I want to build "The Brodie Stove" again later, but on a scale of 1:24. Then it will also be easier to apply all the small details. So far I am satisfied with the result below.

 

__________________

Regards, 

Henk

 

28 march 2020

As promised, I'll post my construction report on The Brodie Stove here. First some data on this Brodie Stove:
This patented stove was used throughout the Navy from 1781 to 1810. Alternatively, the Lamb and Nicholson furnaces were permitted. It has two boilers with a total capacity of about 250 gallons (1137 litres) and an oven capable of baking about 80 pounds (36 kg) of bread in a single batch. There were also small stoves hung from the main furnace, but despite their name, they were probably used to keep stews warm. The Victory took about 50 tons of coal for use in the stove, which was also capable of burning wood.

For a long time I doubted how I was going to make this Brodie. Only from wood with some brass is no challenge for me. In the end I decided to make the Brodie entirely of brass. When you think of brass, you immediately think of soldering or 'Low temperature soldering', but with some tests soldering turned out not to be a good option. The problem was that the model is too small, so when soldering it the whole thing gets too hot and the parts that were soldered earlier can come loose again. In the end I ended up with a number of special adhesives. I bought a few different types and types of adhesives, did some tensile tests and so I made a choice for the glue that suits me best. The latter has to do with the viscosity of the glue and the number of seconds it dries.

First I started with the base of the Brodie. I only want to apply hinges, knobs, etc. as soon as the base is ready. This prevents small parts from breaking off. Gluing brass requires good preparation. Everything must first be sanded and degreased. After 3 weeks of building the base is ready and I can start making the smaller parts.

As you can see on the site I am now working on 3 projects. Besides the Brodie I'm also working on Vic and I also started with the production of the 24 pound guns. I will add to this report on a regular basis. This I make visible on the home page.

__________________

Regards, 

Henk