19 august 2018
My dividing table came in and so I could continue with the 2 capstans. After milling the necessary surfaces on the base of the hindmost capstan, I milled the slots where the locking rods could later fall into.
After that it's a matter of milling parts and building everything up slowly. For example, the holes in which the rods could be inserted to turn the capstan were milled in accordance with the drawing and covered with a second disc.
In addition to milling, I also used the dividing table to attach the construction between the discs. This construction is also reinforced with parts of a disc. As soon as the capstan stood together, the locking rods are attached. These are made of brass and I decided not to blacken them.
The hindmost capstan has been completely measured again. The upper part is visible on the Middle Deck. All sizes are right and, after having sanded everything, the hindmost capstan is ready.
The front capstan differs slightly from the hindmost capstan. The capstan does not have the facility to lock the capstan and is constructed differently. First I started milling the base and all the necessary discs again. After the preparations were completed, the front capstan was assembled in the same way as the hindmost one.
The top of the front cape player is decorated with a kind of acorn. I have copied this one from brass.
Both capstans are ready and are in place for the time being 'dry fit'. I still have my doubts about the finish of the capstans. The problem with the used wood 'pandank' After two weeks, this can already be seen between the front and the rear capstans. When the pandank wood is treated with an oil, the colour changes from a deep red to dark brown.
In order to keep the colour I would have to put them in the clear varnish, but I also get different information about that. For the time being I'm not doing anything, as I don't want to use lacquer or paint to colour Vic. These colours shall remain/become visible through the wood. So I'm still waiting for the finishing touch. I look at what time does with the color.
29 july 2018
The ordered material is now for the largest part inside, I am still waiting for a few machine parts for the milling machine. Meanwhile, I started with the hindmost captain. First I made the bottom plate. This is equipped with an ebony ring and still needs to be provided with slots so that the locking rods can fall into it.
Furthermore, the middle part of the capstan is made on the lathe. This is still milled so that it has 10 sides. In addition, all the necessary rings were made for the various parts on the capstan.
21 july 2018
The capstans, which provides the most important traction force, are located on The Lower and Middle Deck. Each handle could accommodate 10 people and each pair could be linked for the toughest work, for example hoisting the anchor. As a result, it was possible to deploy 260 men per capstan.
The 2 capstans are different, but work in the same way. I have decided to make the capstans entirely according to the drawing, so that they can actually rotate. This takes extra time, but does show the working. Because the deck will have a grey yellow color we have chosen to make the capstans of pandank wood. The locking ring is made of ebony and brass parts are installed.
Not all the necessary material/tools are inside yet. The drawings are largely ready, as soon as everything has been received we start